Maker

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen. Nicene-Constantinople Creed

Here's the easy one, the beginning of what I believe: Wake up. Look around. Wow--who made this? 

For this part the Baltimore Catechism hit it just right. Who is God? God is the supreme being who made all things. Who made me? God made me.   

Then it gets complicated. Why did God make me? He made me to know, love, and serve Him in this world and to be happy with Him in the next. 

I was twelve when I asked the question, "Is there a God? Because if there isn't this religion thing doesn't make much sense." The experience that followed the question is hard to describe.  What it left me with was the sure knowledge that God is and that He is the hub around which my existence revolves. He is the centering reality that gives form to my life.  Everything else is secondary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poverty of Spirit

Winter

An Open Letter to the Church in the Face of Abuse Scandals