All Saints; Particular Saints

Live justly, Love compassionately, walk humbly before God...
Micah 6:8

All Saints Day had me thinking about patron saints. It must have been something in the homily that set me off.

In Catholic school, before the cooling of the earth's crust, I always hated that discussion, which usually happened this very week each year. There is no saint "Carol." I was always informed that I got St. Charles (or "Carlo") Borromeo as a patron. While he was and is undoubtedly a worthy servant of the Lord, the life an Italian Cardinal gave me little to relate to as a small girl.

Research turns up a few other Carlos, including a 20th century Emperor in exile and the intriguing Venerable Carla Ronci, a lay woman about whom all references seem to be in Italian. When JPII is canonized, there will be a canonized Karol but, of course, he is male, and the Church will refer to him as John Paul the Great. My DH is named Gregory and there are many Saints Gregory so I asked him who he took as his patron saint. Without hesitation he said "Ambrose," using his middle name and picking a really great choice.

After some thought, it occurred to me that, name or no name, I could choose my own patron. Who would I choose? Elizabeth of Hungary was my patron at 19 and in habit. Tough lady, Elizabeth. She ran a country when her husband went off to crusade, raised three kids, outsmarted her evil brother in law to preserve the throne for her son, and, as the hagiographers remind us, ended her life as a virtuous widow in a monastery. That's what out of work queens did in those days. In recent years, I have been a great admirer of Katherine Drexel. She is another tough woman (do you detect a theme here?). She was independent, outspoken and relentless in pursuit of her goals. Writers often describe her as giving away her very large inheritance while having no possessions, living poorly and traveling third class. Those things are true. It is also true that she was the savvy daughter of a banker with connections to the finance industry, and she invested her inheritance, multiplying it greatly even as she gave it away. I can also go with Catherine of Sienna, Doctor of the Church, or Mother Teresa who held her own with popes and princes. No meek characters here.

I realized as always that I was once again telling God what I was going to do instead of asking for advice. And so I prayed. Throughout the day, I poked around looking for things about Katherine Drexel and God led me to this: while she was all those things I thought I admired, I was missing something very important. Saint Katherine had a passion for social justice, and she exercised that passion in very concrete ways. She also fueled her work by prayer, and managed her order by prayer in retirement.

As All Souls day dawns, here it is. Somewhere a boy named Chuck needs to learn about Italian Cardinals and exiled Emperors, but as for me, I place myself under the patronage of Mother Katherine. We'll see where each day leads me.

~~~~~~

Katherine Drexel, by the grace of Christ and for the love of God and your fellow human beings, you put your wealth to work for the poor and marginalized, bringing them education, healing, and the opportunity to participate in their own lives. May your example of conversion and cross-cultural solidarity be an evangelical witness for all people. We particularly ask your intercession on behalf of the rich and powerful, that they will stop committing injustices against the poor and embrace the culture of life that calls us to healing and wholeness and communion with God and solidarity with our neighbor. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poverty of Spirit

Winter

An Open Letter to the Church in the Face of Abuse Scandals