Rest

On my bed I remember you. On you I muse through the night.
Psalm 63


When I cannot sleep and there appears to be no reason for it, I want to shout, "What do you want from me?" Rude to God--good going!

In the "watches of the night" the words of Augustine, "Our hearts are restless til they rest in You," take on new meaning. Restless indeed, in every sense of the word--lacking in rest, restlessly moving, restless legs, restless mind.

In him is our safety, our rest, our security, but my mind can't always convince my body. Strung out from lack of sleep, piety and contemplation escape me. All I can do is repeat rote prayers. When the rosary is finished, all I can seek oblivion in cable TV (truely awful in the wee hours of the night) or the Internet (brain numbing, particularly the games). Productive work is not an option at that point. So I throw myself on his mercy and pray for a cure--or for morning.

I will lay down in peace, and sleep comes at once, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poverty of Spirit

Winter

An Open Letter to the Church in the Face of Abuse Scandals